Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Crusty

No longer a description for my leg, arm, and right hand. The last of the wounds seem to be healed. It's my mood that I'm describing this evening. After spending two long and very busy days in Kingston I was happy to have received a phone call during my drive home to get out to the Gats and climb some hills. I got home and changed and prepared my bike as quickly as I could and then got out the door equally as fast. On my way out I noticed my back wheel was rubbing against the brake pad. In fact, I couldn't move the bike forward. I fiddled with it a bit and figured I could quickly fix it when I got there (while in the back of my head I was also thinking something might be wrong because I couldn't easily fix it at home by loosening the skewer and realigning the tire). So, I battled the traffic and got to the park. Upon meeting up with my friends I asked them to look at the wheel and tell me what they thought - at this point I'd been frigging around with it and was considering loosening the brake pads (even though I had that little voice in my head saying: "don't be a dumbass"). As I described to another person later: 'after much deliberation and expert discussion from 3 only-semi-mechanically-literate cycling chicks', we decided I should not be descending hills at high speeds with a warped tire. And hopefully it's just the tire. So I came home and sulked. And then I got to responding to some work emails that really pissed me off. So I had to save them and look at them again later when I was in less of a crusty mood to be sure I wasn't being unreasonably bitchy. Yeah. At least I have the sense not to whip off the types of responses I'd like to sometimes. That and earlier today I even thought of a very witty and equally nasty response to a voicemail I received. Where do days like these come from? I'm just glad I don't have them often. You know, getting knocked off my bike the other week, I was calm (in shock, mind you), and unreasonably nice to the person who did it to me. Then some days, you just want to tell people like that to piss right off. Yep. Crusty day. Crusty Bex. What else can I say? At least I have friends who then pick me up for dinner and encourage my unusual decision to have a margarita. Tomorrow is a new day. I'll find a new adjective then.

No comments: