Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ouch!

Driving... is hard on your body. The three main things I do that my massage therapist curses me for: driving, too much time on the computer (although with the job I have I do less of that than those of you in offices, but I guess I make up for it behind the wheel), and cycling. Put your hands out in front of you and pretend you are grabbing on to the steering wheel of your car. Now pretend that you are typing on the computer. Now bend over a little and pretend you are holding on to the handlebars on a road bike... all very similar positions. They all do pretty much the same thing to me: shorten my pecs and overextend my back muscles. And I've been driving a ton in the last month. I mean a TON! I was in K-town again Monday and today. Slept in a bed that is 1) not mine and 2) a bit too soft. My back was a bit of a mess when I saw my massage therapist tonight. She did this thing called myofascial something or other. If you haven't had this done I'll give you a simple picture: she basically tries to pull the skin off my back. Yes it hurts, but it makes you better in the end. At the massage therapy office that I go to you leave with epsom salts - enough for one bath. I'm a bad patient. I leave and don't have a bath. I save them all up in my bathroom and use them after long rides in the summer when I know I'll be sore. Tonight she gave me 2. When she came out holding them I said, "Uh, oh!". She said, "Yes. Now go home and have one bath tonight and another in one or two days. You are going to be sore". Now, none of my massages with her are ever 'relaxing' per se. She uses her elbows on me. Yep, I'm a tough case. But she's never given me 2 bags of epsom salts. So tonight I think I'm going to listen to her and be a good patient and have my bath.

No comments: