Sunday, December 03, 2006

One more obsession for the list...

I should add one more obsession to my list on the right... hair. In highschool I did the typical girl thing: grew my hair really, really long and got it cut about once/year. Fear was the main motivator to never cut your hair. When you are a teenage girl long hair is coveted, and a very important part of your identity. At least for those of us who fell into that insecurity. I kept that long hair, even afraid to colour it beyond the good ol' days of "Sun-in", until my last year at university when I literally chopped it all off. At the time the Spice Girls were all the rage, and although I was a bit old to get into their music, I did like Victoria (whatever her last name is)'s hair. So I cut mine like that. Then I experimented with short hair for a period of a few years - changing the style at almost every hair appointment (and when you have short hair that's about every 3 months). It was fun. And it seemed everyone else kind of enjoyed seeing me change my hair all the time too. Then I grew it back out a little and coloured it red and did the red thing for about a year. It was hard to keep the red in - it washes out and fades easily. But when I wanted to have my natural colour back it was surprisingly hard to get rid of the red. It finally grew out and for the last two years I've had pretty much the same hair-cut of varying lengths and my natural colour. I haven't had bangs since the days of teasing your bangs up and hairspraying them til they stood on end back in the late 80's/early 90's. Yes, I too have been a victim of horrible fashion trends and have the photos to prove it - hidden. ;) Anyway... this weekend - I got bangs! Not straight across your forehead bangs, but bangs nonetheless. Yes, beyond the usual stuff, it was an eventful weekend! lol! So getting bangs wasn't just a quick decision. Like I mentioned before - I'd been thinking about it while on vacation. For those of you who see me, you might think it's not that big of a thing. But for a chick it is. Next time, if I like them, maybe I'll get them a bit shorter. I thought about putting up some pics to show the transitions over the years, but I felt like it would be kind of weird to put up a whole whack of photos of myself with different haircuts. So I opted not to. For those of you who've known me over that time, you'll remember. For those who haven't - sorry, you'll just have to use your imagination. ;)

No comments: