I found it. My favourite place this trip: Menton. I spent the last 3 days in Cannes, enjoying the lovely wet weather. Cannes was a good place to be when the weather wasn't so good. I enjoyed cafe's and movies and the internet cafe a little too much. Computer/internet withdrawal I'm afraid. However, yesterday afternoon, little by little, the weather started to clear up. It was looking much more positive from that perspective. So, late in the day I came back to Nice, as this is my departure point to London tomorrow. Back at the hostel again, I met 2 girls from the Big Smoke and an Aussie. The 4 of us went out downtown for drinks last night. Then I figured that today, with the weather supposed to be looking good, I'd tour around Nice. Surprise of all surprises, woke up to pouring rain. :( Luckily it slowed down to a drizzle around 9:30 AM and I was off with the Aussie to the market. Then the rain started up again. She was tired and grumpy and went back to the hostel to get some sleep. I looked into going to the Matisse museum, but guess what?? It's closed for renovations. -Insert sigh of exasperation- I've had a few moments this trip where I've had to remind myself to choose a better perspective. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Eventually I decided to get on a train. I headed to Menton. Menton is right on the border of Italy and it has a good mix of both French & Italian culture. It is so cute, quaint, relaxing... this is what I've been wanting. Figures I'd find it on the last day. Oops, there goes that perspective thing again. Ha! Regardless, I'm glad I did find it. If I come back this way again I'm definitely staying there. Final conclusion on Nice: it's ok. It would be better a little earlier in the season when not everything is being renovated & when the weather is actually still good enough for the beach. And if you have maybe a little something more to be doing here, because ultimately this is a beach & shopping town. And don't stay near the train station. 'Nuff said...
I'll be checking out the Air Canada lounge at Heathrow (I hope). Nice thing about traveling for work: when a bunch of flights get rescheduled, as happened to mine in September, you get little perks like a free pass to the lounge. I hope it's good.
No comments:
Post a Comment