We flew there on Aeroperlas (you have the choice of Aeroperlas or Air Panama - AP was sold out) on a small , 15-seater prop. I was scared sh#$less on the way there, since we decided to sit at the back, beside the doors - where I could actually see through the holes, and feel the air from outside through the less-than-well-maintained seals. And I've flown on "Scareskin" (Bearskin, for those who aren't so acquainted) on a much smaller plane before, so that says something. This is what was going through my head:
Is this plane pressurized?
Oh, no, I guess we don't fly high enough for that.
S#*t, am I going to get sucked out of the door?
I'm not ready to die.
Ok, I'm not going to die. Have faith. The pilot is good. He's good. Nothing's going to happen.
Is this plane pressurized? No. I think I've already established that, considering the fact that I can feel the air coming in that we're not. It's ok.
People skydive out of planes and the door is open then. Yes, that means that we do not need to be pressurized. Yes, that's the kind of height we're at. Yes, I can see skydiving at this altitude. Ok. We're good. We're not going to die.
OMG! The lady beside us is sleeping away through all of the crazy dips and huge bumps we're taking. She seems to be used to this. Ok. that means this is normal and all is well in the world.
If I die, I hope it's quick.
We had some bumpy weather, so the back was not the ideal spot. Found out later, from Marilyne's bf (who works for Costa airlines) that Aeroperlas has the worst rep for crashes - nice. Glad we made it in one piece. Here is our plane:
And here is the 'airport'- an airstrip on the edge of the mainland and a dock for the very small boats that the Kuna use to ferry travelers and goods:
But when we arrived, the bumpy plane ride, followed by the moderately bumpy boat ride in questionable boats was all worth it:
I've uploaded all of my trip photos - you can also use the link on the right as usual (Photos). I may post some of my faves here and explain some l8tr...
I had a really, really wonderful time. I had to sleep a lot the past few days to recover though, and I'm super glad, as usual, to be home. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment