Monday, April 02, 2007

Final Leg

As per usual, I will be returning home from vacation tomorrow tired. I rarely take the type of vacation that allows true R&R. Luckily, I have the remainder of the week off! But enough of that, you are probably all wondering what I've been up to... and the answer is: a lot!

Our travel plans had to be rearranged at the last minute, as we were awaiting confirmation of a few different reservations to get to San Blas. The flights were all sold out, and we had to scramble to get our flight booked and our lodging arrangements rescheduled. So, instead of spending time in the Caribbean islands at the end of the week, we went on the weekend and just returned this morning. So, maybe I'll start there and go backward. San Blas... what can I say? If you ever dare to venture down this way, do not miss it! All of the beautiful tropical island postcards out there - this place is it. It's an archipelago of islands on the Caribbean coast, primarily inhabited by the Kuna indigenous people of Panama. The island we stayed on was very small - we walked around it in no time. There are only 4 families living on our little island and one of them is in charge of this little 'hotel' consisting of 2 huts (sorry to Lisa - they are houses, but nobody back home will get the picture if I do not call them that), and a little kitchen house where they prepare food for us. There is no electricity, no running water. We lived on the beach for a day and slept by the ocean. You will see the pictures when I get back... oh my god!!! Amazing. I'll also write more on the experience when I'm back, as I don't have enough time today.

At the end of last week we took a trip to the mountains and a village called El Valle d'Anton. I was happy to be there and get some relief from the heat and pollution of Panama City. We spent two days there, had a great dinner at the hotel and restaurant that Lisa's soon-to-be former landlord owns and operates (the place is renouned and for good reason). We lazed around in the hammocks at the hotel we stayed at, went to the zoo and saw some pretty cool animals, and shopped at their famed market for local artisans' wares. The town is full of retired Americans, and is good at welcoming the tourists. It's really beautiful too. We ate a traditional Panamanian meal for lunch the day we left: corvina (sea bass), fried plantains, and rice. Awesome food! My first time eating fried plantian. Upon our return on Saturday, Lisa's roommate had taken posession of her new car, so we got to take it out and had dinner together.

I'll be back soon...

2 comments:

jag said...

Safe return travel to you!! Looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing more about your experiences...

PAX,

Anonymous said...

Hey Becks!!! I can't believe you are almost done your holiday!!! Geez, they never last long enough. Can't wait to see pictures.

Safe journey!

Jan