Thursday, February 22, 2007

Green Gum

When we were really little my sister and I used to get carsick. Moving cross-country, and doing a lot of road trips, this was a bit of a problem. Mom used to bring the green tupperware bowl for us to throw up in.

Not the white tupperware bowl - that one was for making cookies.

But the green one - that one was for miscellany, I suppose (like throwing up - yuck!).

That and gravol got us through until we grew out of carsickness (I still never travel without gravol to this day). Today, driving in TO, I was reminded of those days growing up when the cab driver, who drove me downtown, offered me some gum: green gum. Now, technically it's called spearmint, but we always called it 'green gum' and still do. Mom really liked green gum and often gave it to us on road trips. From a very early age I associated it with being sick, so I tend to avoid it at all costs.

Until today.

When the cabby kept saying, "it's very fresh", and wouldn't take no for an answer.

He made me laugh.

So I chewed the green gum and listened to his stories about his kids and his grand kids and being a cab driver for 29 years and I didn't throw up.

So I think I may be over my green gum phobia.

I don't want to chew it again though. I still prefer cinnamon.

1 comment:

jag said...

I love this story! My Dad chewed green gum all the time, so it's the kind we used to get in the car too... As for car sickness - yep! My mom's trick was to hide gravol in my food before we went on a road trip. (I refused to swallow pills.) Today, I still tend to sleep my way through long road trips, especially if I'm in the back seat. Gee, thanks Bex - great memories. :-)