Thursday, January 11, 2007

Vanity

I have this space in between my two front, bottom teeth. I think this space just keeps growing. And it's really starting to get on my nerves. When those teeth first started to separate I thought it looked kind of cool. You know, I had braces, and you don't need to have absolutely perfect teeth. That's just unnatural. I remember this guy in high school whose teeth really struck me - they freaked me out. Way too straight. But you know you had a crap orthodontist when your bottom teeth just keep moving. This, even though I've agreed to leave that barbaric wire in behind them for what I think is meant to be the rest of my life. And then you also know that you had a crap orthodontist when on the surface of one of those front, bottom teeth you keep getting stains (due to the enamel that decided to leave that tooth and go into the garbage with the bracket they ripped off of it). So, this past week I started to think of what I might do to correct this. Maybe I could get those porcelain veneer things put on my front, bottom teeth? Then I could probably get rid of that annoying wire too. But would my insurance cover that? Uh, yeah, I don't think so. And am I willing to pay for it? Um, no, not really. Frankly I'd rather buy a new bike or something. So you know what that lead me to thinking about? Gratitude. Yep. I don't think my folks have been reading this lately, but maybe one day they will and they'll see this: thanks Mom and Dad for paying for my braces when I was a kid. Now that I'm an adult I can put some of these things into perspective and I realize the kind of stuff that parents give up. Not that my parents would have bought a bike worth several thousand dollars instead of braces for their kid, but I'm sure they had other stuff that they'd have rather spent the money on.

No comments: