Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Growing up and moving out

I should be heading to bed now since I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow... last day to finish all the little things before moving all my stuff into storage Friday. I've never moved an apartment into storage. I've certainly moved enough times in my life. Let's see (me looking up and thinking), this will be move # 9. That's a lot of moving. Mind you, I didn't do all the work for all of those moves, as 6 of them (seven different places that I lived) were while living with my folks as a kid and since we moved due to my dad's work we had movers do just about everything - including the packing. But I digress... like I said, moving into a storage unit - sigh - it's not easy. I've gone to bed almost every night of the past week visualizing the unit and thinking about my stuff and almost praying (but not really since I'm completely non-religious) that it will all fit. I've gotten rid of so much stuff either by throwing it away, putting it at the curb for passers by, giving to charity, and I sold one thing. It's nice to minimize - take it all down to what I really need and some stuff that I really truly want. The rest of it someone else can love (or hoard). I had a box of cassettes of old 80's and 90's cheese that I knew some collector-type would want. I left it out at the curb with a note: "Help Yourself" and sure enough, after a few had been pilfered someone came along and took the whole box of 'em - within 2 hours. At any rate, moving into a storage unit is stressful. Much more stressful than moving to another dwelling. It will all be worth it though.

I'm going to miss this place. The four years I've lived in my apartment have gone by really quickly. I feel like - no, I've actually grown up a lot living here. It's been an important journey. I was a bit of a messed up kid when I moved here. I think I'm leaving as a fairly well-rounded and better grounded adult. I think I know how to still be a kid in the best ways though, and when I forget I have some friends that are always around to remind me. Okay, enough sap for tonight. Big job ahead and a long weekend to round it all out. I need to get back on the bike. It's been so sporadic the past week and a half. At least I had a really great 100K ride last weekend in the heat with the gang. Gotta get this moving thing wrapped up so I can get back to the important stuff... on two wheels.

2 comments:

jag said...

What a great post! There is something quite unsettling about moving, especially from a place & time that have so growth-full... Such an exciting time for you! Thanks for keeping us "posted". :-)

xox

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,

I haven't logged onto your blog for a while but have been thinking of you getting ready for your time out and trip to New Zealand. You do sound like it has been challenging you. Hang in there hun, it will be an amazing adventure and you are brave enough to take the opportunity, which is not something everyone can do. Go for it - and I know great things will come to you :-) I'll look forward to reading all about it too (although I do gasp at all the cycling you do and how for you, 100km rides are too short ! You're amazing!). Enjoy yourself. Reg