Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Riding SF, etc.

Another crazy warm, beautiful day in SF. I wore sunscreen today. :) A bit of a rush this morning: up, shower, pancake breakfast (in anticipation of my bike ride today), packed up and reorganized, hopped into a cab, moved over to my accommodations for this evening and tomorrow. Super lucky: my room was ready! Got settled, changed into my cycling gear, reorganized again. Sheesh! Met Pip, the resident greeter here at the inn. Hopped into a cab to get to the bike rental shop. Picked up my bike. On my way. One of the pedals wasn't working and I couldn't get clipped in - not to mention that I took my mtb shoes so I could get off and walk around more easily, plus for some reason I didn't want to take my good shoes just in case. Who knows why I got that idea in my head, but whatever. At any rate, I think it's been 3 years since I last used those shoes and cleat system so I was rusty at finding where the cleat is to clip in AND the pedal wasn't working. Turned around, back to the shop. New pedals. On my way again. The ride could have been better if: I didn't feel like a sack of potatoes for the first hour (due to a lack of real physical activity for the past several days), and if I'd eaten more - I forgot/didn't have time/was too rushed to eat lunch. Scarfed down a luna bar but the hills were too challenging for an empty stomach. I needed food. Got lost many, many times, but once on Chestnut Street I found an abundance of little spots to grab something and ate a pita - at nearly 3:30 PM! Found my way back to the route. Rode it for a while. Was actually on track but then decided to cut it short at that point. Over 2 hours already and wanted to get back and shower and I had a couple of things I wanted to do before stores closed, etc, etc.

Tonight I went down to a bike shop that was supposed to sell Sheila Moon wear but I found they didn't. They had a lot of cool bikes though. I chatted with the guy there and he told me a route across the bridge that he said is way nicer than what I was going to do tomorrow. So if I can manage not to get myself lost again I'll try it out.

The people here are super nice. All the cabbies chat with you. And on the road other cyclists on the OTHER side of the road yell hi at me. ??? This happened several times. And I'm not riding the Colnago (I left her at home), so it can't be that. I'm just riding the plain old Giant rental. It's actually a decent bike, but I hope I don't regret not bringing my own saddle. Wasn't the most comfortable. Anyway... back to the cabbies. So in one of the cabs today the guy pointed out these two ladies walking up the road together wearing matching outfits with big, bright pink hats. He told me: "Those are the twins. I didn't know they were still alive." So I asked him about them. He said they are famous, so I googled them when I got back tonight. Here you go: Brown Twins. I saw them! Cool eh?? Too bad I was in a cab - could've taken their photo.

No comments: