Sunday, June 08, 2008

Conference Stuff

Conferences are funny, in that there can be lots of neat things going on in the exhibit hall. I'm not a big fan of the exhibit hall, actually. In March when I was in Chicago I mostly avoided it, but sometimes I get drawn in. Last fall at the CCS congress at one booth they had hired some guys who were trying to sell a medical device that measured your arterial resistance and with that information they were estimating your "arterial age" - i.e. how stiff are your arteries, further i.e. how healthy are you? I was 26 years old. :) I'm not chronologically 26, so of course I was happy. I told the guy I'd see him next year, when I'd be 25. Ha-ha!! Today I decided, after attending a lecture given by the president of the ADA, to go to one of the many booths that were measuring HbA1c. Unless you are diabetic, or suspected to be at risk for it, this is not a routine test, so I've never had it done before. Also, I should say that at the booth they are obviously not drawing blood and doing a typical test - this was a prick of my finger and a 5 minute analysis in a machine so it won't be quite as accurate, but it's fun nonetheless. Mine was 5.0% - bang on healthy-normal (just to give you an idea - the physicians I know have a hard time getting their diabetic patients' A1c down to 7%). I love the analytical tests at these things. I'm such a Science nerd sometimes.

Anyway... I've had a chance to see a bit more of SF. The weather here so far has been fantastic, although I think we're riding on that heat wave most of the rest of the continent is enjoying (or not?). I miss my bike though. I'm looking forward to later in the week when the congress is over and I can go out on a rental. :) More later...

1 comment:

jag said...

Glad to hear you made it safely! Sounds like your calf muscles will be getting a work-out. Enjoy your time there and keep us posted... :-)

pace e bene,