Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rubber Side Down

First ride in a whole week this afternoon. I'm glad I waited. I could feel all the vibrations of the road in my road rash - it hurt for a bit, then I got used to it, other than going over bumps. The bumps still hurt no matter what. I hadn't thought about the road vibration. At any rate, this afternoon was the earliest I felt ready to cover the wound up in order to ride. That 2nd skin is fantastic, btw!! It has made a world of difference to the healing - and the pain!

I had originally thought I might get out on the group ride this morning, but I also told myself and a couple of my friends that I would be taking it one day at a time. If I didn't feel up to it when I woke up I wouldn't be there. When I woke up I realized how much effort it was going to take to get ready to make it out to the remote start and I also didn't want to cover up the rash this morning so I went back to sleep (that was at 7 AM - I'm allowed!). This afternoon though, I made myself go out. I was starting to stiffen up significantly. My body isn't used to 7 days with absolutely no physical activity. When I spoke with my parents on the phone this morning even they expressed their surprise to hear that I hadn't gone out on the bike at all this week. I also taught my dad the 'rubber side down' expression when he said of my going out today: "keep your wheels on the ground". I geared up, prepped the bike, and as I was leaving I felt a little self conscious of how I was going to look to the outside world with a bandaged arm and some pretty nasty looking bruises. So I took a picture for posterity.

No comments: