Sunday, August 26, 2007

Up, forward, down, push back

I wonder how many of you decifered the title? I'll let it simmer with you for a while.
Well, I'm getting close to 3000 now. I guess with at least another month (and I'm really, actually hoping it's more like two, in fact) of cycling left I know I'll reach 4000, but perhaps not my goal of 5000. Today I went out only because my mileage goal drove me to do it. I guess that's what goals are for. That, and the fact that when I thought about what I'd do otherwise I couldn't think of anything better, and would very much rather put off all of the other stuff I could do anyway. Laundry and dishes aren't quite as exciting, I'm afraid. But after yesterday's ride in the quite ferocious wind, I was feeling pretty bagged. Even after having a good nap, going to bed at a reasonable hour for a change, and knowing I could nap again after today's ride - I was still feeling mentally and physically tired. Unfortunately this is more than a bit of a problem for me these days, riding aside. I have been plagued by this deep physical fatigue that I can honestly say, at this point, I'm feeling in every cell of my body. It's been building for months, but now I'm at a point where I can't even really accurately describe it. However, I keep on keeping on. Life doesn't stop for tired people. So I'm working on the cause and hope that it will start to resolve soon and in the meantime I nap and bike and work and nap. That's about it. There's not much room for much more. I don't know where I'd find time or energy for more. I hope that when the new academic year starts in a week's time and work picks up that I don't get my butt kicked.

Enough about that though. Yesterday we rode even though the weather forecast was so daunting, and it was a remote start we had decided to do. Ten people showed up and we rode to Hawkesbury. What a fantastic ride! Obviously we have some pretty intense keeners in our group (I guess considering my physical condition as of late, I'd have to admit to being one of them). Today's weather was better and I did another ride almost as long as yesterday's. So my mileage is still building, my gats loop last week (again while totally exhausted when I did it) was mentally not half as challenging as the beginning of the year, and I think I'm really starting to build a solid base fitness as a cyclist. And that said, I'm such a geek that I took an extra day off next week to add to my extra, extra, extra looooong weekend so I can plan my training for the off-season. Yes, I know. You don't even have to think it.

There they are - all the crazies I was able to coerce (hardly) to come out on Saturday!

No comments: