Friday, August 31, 2007

Extra, extra, extra looooooong weekend

It's day two of my 6-day weekend. He, he, he. How you like me now? OK. I'll stop bragging.

I took it really, really easy today. That's what this weekend is supposed to be about, so I'm glad I'm sticking to it so far.

Yesterday was a pretty packed, and fun day. Cleaned a bit of the apartment in the AM. Trained with Jessica in the early afternoon. Went out for a ride to the park later in the afternoon, but rode from my house instead of driving up there, so it was a much longer ride which was nice. On the way there I crossed paths with one of my cycling buddies and he was headed to the park too, so we rode together. It was a fantastic day for a ride. The sun was out, the air was fresh and clean, and the hills were great. At the beginning of the season I said I was going to crush Pink Lake hill and I think I've done it. The last two or three times I've climbed it I felt strong and totally not intimidated by it at all. What a change over just two years back when I thought I'd die on the way up. And I feel this way despite some nagging issues with fatigue. That's a good sign. Next summer when I should have this health stuff behind me I will be so much stronger. I look forward to that day.

I bought some new shorts today to replace my poor Shebeest shorts that had to retire. They saved my hip from major road rash in April when I had that little crash, but after a couple of months of washes they were about to show a little more skin than I'm willing to bear out there. I had my mom shopping in the US for new Shebeest shorts for me since they're hard to find here, but she was unsuccessful - late season and all. She also told me that the salesperson said something about them being bought by another company. Hmm. I'll have to keep my ears open about that because they are seriously my favourite chamois. So, the new ones are far more expensive Sugoi and I'll have to see if I like them as much. I also decided to purchase some lube to put in the pedals - once I borrow a wrench to get them off. I was going to take my bike into the shop for that, and for them to check out the rear derailleur, as it was skipping a bit, but RobbieO tweaked the derailleur and it was pretty good in the hills yesterday, so I'm going to see if I can do this one myself. I still have a few good rides to test out my handywoman/mechanical skills before the last big weekend of touring. If I still need to, mid-next week I'll take it in to the boyz at the shop.

The rest of the weekend is up in the air. I keep changing my mind on plans. Mostly I want to rest. I still have to spend some time planning the off-season training schedule. And the apartment still has a very long way to go before it looks anywhere near presentable. If the fact that my friend of nearly twenty years was by the other day and I felt embarrassed about the state of affairs doesn't tell you how bad it is, then I don't know what else could.

No comments: