Wow. What a long week. You know how busy weeks can fly by? Well this one was very busy, but it didn't fly by. And yet, it doesn't feel like end of the day Friday right now. I guess I can take that partly as a blessing since we needn't wish our lives away right? But then you get to the end of that week and feel like there is no gas left. That's me right now. I'm out to a musical that a friend of mine is performing in tonight and I feel like I'm going to need toothpicks for my eyelids. Maybe I'll get my second wind soon.
I began my week putting 1000 km on the car in 2 days. I also drove in crazy weather - there was some sort of wind storm earlier in the week and it made for some nasty black ice and white-out conditions on the country roads I ended up on Monday night. There were cars in the ditch turned over on their roofs!!! I was actually scared driving home. I made it just fine, but not without a few moments of: "I don't want to end up on my roof. I don't want to end up on my roof" going through my head.
I had my ortho consult and it's mixed news I guess. No surgery for you! He told me that they used to do surgery on people like me and found it just meant that they came back a few years later with bad arthritis. "Don't let anyone touch that knee with a 10-foot pole." OK, I won't. He said I'm not meant to run - my knees are just not lined up properly, it's genetic, and there is nothing we can do about it. In fact, he said that by cycling, I've already started curing my knee. It's true too, as each year passes, getting stronger legs, I've noticed less knee pain. I just hope that I get strong enough that the xc-skiing doesn't keep aggravating it.
And speaking of cycling, I took Blu in for a tune-up. If I don't get her in now she won't be ready for outside when I'm back from Panama. And I plan to be outside when I get back. I have 5 days off at home when I return and I already have rides lined up! So I was hoping to pick her up tonight, but alas, she's not ready. Which means I think I'm going to spin tomorrow morning. Here is something useful, and funny: Fixing Flats is Fun! Well, I've never really thought so. It takes me a bit of time to change a flat - I find it really hurts my fingers, trying to get the tire back on at the end. At least I can do that on my own though. The other stuff, well, that's why Blu is with the guys at the bike shop right now: new chain, new tape on the handlebars, little things oiled and tweaked here and there. I'm looking forward to getting her back. Sounds like I've been without her all week, but in fact, I rode yesterday and then took her in. Yeah, I'm hopeless.
I also started getting things ready for my trip. The countdown is on! Surprise of all surprises - the Malarone was covered by my plan. The perks of working in the 'industry' I guess. Nice! So I'll try my best to get some stuff together and post on Panama before I leave. I did spend a little time last weekend researching the places that I've been told I'm going. For clarification: I'm visiting a friend of mine who is living in Panama until the end of the summer. So, I have a personal tour guide of sorts. She sent me an email the other week listing some essentials to bring, as well as a list of things we will be doing. It all looks fantastic! Makes me wonder if I should have taken a longer trip. I'm really excited to see her and to see the country!!
I began my week putting 1000 km on the car in 2 days. I also drove in crazy weather - there was some sort of wind storm earlier in the week and it made for some nasty black ice and white-out conditions on the country roads I ended up on Monday night. There were cars in the ditch turned over on their roofs!!! I was actually scared driving home. I made it just fine, but not without a few moments of: "I don't want to end up on my roof. I don't want to end up on my roof" going through my head.
I had my ortho consult and it's mixed news I guess. No surgery for you! He told me that they used to do surgery on people like me and found it just meant that they came back a few years later with bad arthritis. "Don't let anyone touch that knee with a 10-foot pole." OK, I won't. He said I'm not meant to run - my knees are just not lined up properly, it's genetic, and there is nothing we can do about it. In fact, he said that by cycling, I've already started curing my knee. It's true too, as each year passes, getting stronger legs, I've noticed less knee pain. I just hope that I get strong enough that the xc-skiing doesn't keep aggravating it.
And speaking of cycling, I took Blu in for a tune-up. If I don't get her in now she won't be ready for outside when I'm back from Panama. And I plan to be outside when I get back. I have 5 days off at home when I return and I already have rides lined up! So I was hoping to pick her up tonight, but alas, she's not ready. Which means I think I'm going to spin tomorrow morning. Here is something useful, and funny: Fixing Flats is Fun! Well, I've never really thought so. It takes me a bit of time to change a flat - I find it really hurts my fingers, trying to get the tire back on at the end. At least I can do that on my own though. The other stuff, well, that's why Blu is with the guys at the bike shop right now: new chain, new tape on the handlebars, little things oiled and tweaked here and there. I'm looking forward to getting her back. Sounds like I've been without her all week, but in fact, I rode yesterday and then took her in. Yeah, I'm hopeless.
I also started getting things ready for my trip. The countdown is on! Surprise of all surprises - the Malarone was covered by my plan. The perks of working in the 'industry' I guess. Nice! So I'll try my best to get some stuff together and post on Panama before I leave. I did spend a little time last weekend researching the places that I've been told I'm going. For clarification: I'm visiting a friend of mine who is living in Panama until the end of the summer. So, I have a personal tour guide of sorts. She sent me an email the other week listing some essentials to bring, as well as a list of things we will be doing. It all looks fantastic! Makes me wonder if I should have taken a longer trip. I'm really excited to see her and to see the country!!

No comments:
Post a Comment