Slightly more than a week and I'll be in my summer clothes and heading to the beach. Which reminds me of something I have on the agenda for tonight: pull summer clothes out of the basement and figure out what to take. So, what about Panama? Well, I'm sure you've all heard of the famous canal - if you haven't you have been living under a rock and I will try not to judge you on it. Yes, we will see the canal. Panama borders Costa Rica in the north, and Colombia in the south. The country lies within a stip of land that is called an isthmus - kind of neat. There is a lot of diversity of landscape there: mountains, rain forest, beach, and apparently Panama City is quite cosmopolitan. The currency is Balboa, but I think the US dollar is used regularly. I better be sure of that - you see I'm not as organized as what would be typical for me. According to my friend, FLC, you can get anything there because it's very Americanized (due to their long occupation of the area) - so I needn't be having nightmares about forgetting my sunscreen. They speak Spanish and English (I picked up a Latin American Spanish phrase book for when I'm not in the company of FLC), and it has coasts on the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea (which seems to sometimes be referred to as the Atlantic Ocean - hmm), and then a few gulfs (like the Gulf of Panama, for example). If all goes according to plan, we will visit the 2 main bodies of water while I'm there, spend some time in the mountains and the rain forest.

No comments:
Post a Comment