Saturday, September 23, 2006

Touring the Island

Finished up our meetings with a day of training and a dinner with just our group (the spec reps), which was nice. We don't often get the chance to hang out together. Next morning Nic and I checked out of the hotel, picked up a rental car and dropped our bags off at our B&B, just down the street. It's called the Bluestone Inn - very nice. Neil and Anne run it and they are really great. We headed out on the road and did a tour of a very small part of NFLD... this place is so big! We went to the following places: Brigus, Cupids, Holyrood, Conception Bay, Bay Roberts, Dildo, and Placentia Bay. The highlights are as follows:
  • Nic had a PB&J sandwich for lunch in Brigus;
  • Stopped in and got our pics taken with the giant squid and Captain Dildo in Dildo;
  • Had to stop and document cows on leashes on someone's front lawn (you'll see the photos once I get home and upload);
  • Saw a moose on the side of the TransCanada (tres cool!);
  • Got chased by local NFLD boys in Placentia Bay - Nic got out of the car at the Heritage site and said to them: "I'm guessing you're not here for the visitors' centre" - they didn't know what to say - I could not stop laughing!!;
  • Ended it up at Cape Spear (the 2nd time for me - it's so beautiful I had to see it again!);
  • Spent about 7 or 8 hours on this tour and came back entirely exhausted!!

Today when we dropped the car off again at the hotel, I dropped the keys in the drop box and then realized I'd left my camera in the car. Picked up the phone at the National Car Rental stand to talk to the lady who was apparently working at the airport. She was actually pretty rude (very unusual for this part of the country) and told me I wouldn't be seeing my camera today. I looked down into the drop box and could clearly see the key, so I asked Adam, the bell boy, if he could get me a hanger. He was a sweetheart and did and voila! One key retrieved and camera saved! :) Today we shopped around - I bought some souvenirs and then hiked up and down Signal Hill with Aristea. Tonight Nic and I have reservations for dinner at the Gypsy Tea Room. It looks really great. Tomorrow morning I hope to tour around the city a bit again before heading out to the airport... the weather has been phenomenal!! I hope it holds tomorrow.

No comments: