Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Roots

I've now updated one hyperlink so you can view my photos. I know that's what most people like about trips anyway... in the process heard from a few of you that I hadn't shared some of my previous trips' photos before. Too bad - sorry Boyko... I guess I figured I'd shared the Greece pics at the time. Only well over a year later do you get to check 'em out.
So maybe I'll fill some of you in on how it happened that I seem to have a thing for traveling. I guess I come from two families of travelers - it's in the genes. Maybe going back to Wales in the late 1800's is pushing it, so we'll start with my immediate paternal family who moved all across Canada and back home again (to PEI) when my dad was a kid. My mom's family moved around NB & NS, and it was in the former that my parents met. It was once told to me (don't kill me if I'm wrong M&D) that at the tender ages of 19 & 21, my parents had decided they wanted to move out west. As you might have guessed, in 1972 that didn't go over so well with their folks, and they were instructed that they would not be going anywhere together if they were unmarried. So they got married and I believe it may have been less than 2 years before they started trekking across the country... soon with one and then two kids, and a dog to boot. The shortest duration of stay in one place for me was 6 months, the longest 2.5 years, before we settled down for a while in the nation's capital city. Every place we lived, from Nova Scotia, to Alberta (and many places in between), my parents always took us on a summer road trip and we checked out all kinds of cool places in Canada and the US. Thus began my own need to explore the world outside of this continent.
My grandmother told me just this past summer when I was visiting her in PEI that I'm a lot like my grandfather - that he too had wanderlust. I'd not heard of the term before that, so credit goes to her for the title of this blog.

No comments: