checked the nutritional facts on the cans of tomatoes. They have this 'blue menu' line and I found diced tomatoes with only 5 mg of salt in a large can. Score. OK. So, this means I'm making my own pasta sauce. I don't think I've ever done that before. Not that I can't, I'm just lazy. I make all kinds of things from scratch without looking at a recipe, and with throwing things together just because. This will work. But with lower salt I need more herbs and onions and garlic and stuff. So I picked up all of that, including fresh basil (unfortunately not organic, but I think the fresh stuff was important for this venture). So I made it, and ate far later than I should as a result. It was fantastic! And now I have tons of it to freeze too. Score. And a total of 10 mg of salt. Double score. So of course, I ate two helpings. Doh!
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Mmmm Pasta
Whenever I think of pasta - just think of it - I think of MizB. When the girls go out for dinner we most frequently go for pasta because it's her fave. I've been craving it for the last 3 days. On my way home from training with Jess tonight I decided to stop at the grocery store near my house and pick up the fixins. When I picked up a jar of organic 'garlic and herbs' pasta sauce and read the nutritional facts (something that's second nature to me at this point) I was completely horrified at the amount of salt in a serving: 530 mg!!!! WTF?? I checked some of the other 'varieties' (plainer ones) - same thing. I checked the non-organic ones... again, same, same. Hmm. I just got back from working out. The last thing I want to do is bloat up with salt. And I've been trying to watch how much salt is in my food these days, because it just seems to sneak right in there. Pasta also isn't the ideal post-workout meal anyway, so I couldn't compromise on making it as healthy as possible. So I went over to the canned veggie aisle and
checked the nutritional facts on the cans of tomatoes. They have this 'blue menu' line and I found diced tomatoes with only 5 mg of salt in a large can. Score. OK. So, this means I'm making my own pasta sauce. I don't think I've ever done that before. Not that I can't, I'm just lazy. I make all kinds of things from scratch without looking at a recipe, and with throwing things together just because. This will work. But with lower salt I need more herbs and onions and garlic and stuff. So I picked up all of that, including fresh basil (unfortunately not organic, but I think the fresh stuff was important for this venture). So I made it, and ate far later than I should as a result. It was fantastic! And now I have tons of it to freeze too. Score. And a total of 10 mg of salt. Double score. So of course, I ate two helpings. Doh!
checked the nutritional facts on the cans of tomatoes. They have this 'blue menu' line and I found diced tomatoes with only 5 mg of salt in a large can. Score. OK. So, this means I'm making my own pasta sauce. I don't think I've ever done that before. Not that I can't, I'm just lazy. I make all kinds of things from scratch without looking at a recipe, and with throwing things together just because. This will work. But with lower salt I need more herbs and onions and garlic and stuff. So I picked up all of that, including fresh basil (unfortunately not organic, but I think the fresh stuff was important for this venture). So I made it, and ate far later than I should as a result. It was fantastic! And now I have tons of it to freeze too. Score. And a total of 10 mg of salt. Double score. So of course, I ate two helpings. Doh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ah yessss... the salt dilemma. This is why we hardly eat any prepared (ie. canned, boxed, enveloped) food anymore. Allow me to share my fool-proof, favourite pasta "recipe". I have it about once a week. It's so alive and flavourful that I now find the heavy cream or tomato pasta sauces overkill.
I use a deep stir fry pan to make the "sauce".
>> Olive oil (a good glug or two, enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
>> Chopped Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves minimum (more if you loooove garlic)
>> Veggies (depends what's in the fridge - most of the time I use some or all of... peppers, leek, snow peas, small broccoli flowerets, red onion, grape tomatoes, whatever...)
Sauté the veggies in the olive oil & garlic until tender, yet still alert. Throw tomatoes in only at the end so they don't get overly mushy.
All the while, cook whatever pasta you have on hand. When the pasta is ready, drain and toss it into the pan with the veggies.
Dish it out. Buon appetito!
Mm, homemade pasta sauce rocks! Plus you can use all the fresh herbs for flavours that the canned variety just can't compete with (and thus they have to add all the salt). You're a great cook and don't doubt it was yummy!
Hey you two...
Thanks for the recipe - I will try that for sure!
And for the compliment - I'll cook for you anytime Stef. :)
Post a Comment