Friday, September 07, 2007

Summer's End Century

Technically, in metric terms, it's more than a century. And it's also twice. So it should be called a double century, plus 40. Anyway, I think originally this ride was an imperial century (100 miles), times two. And that's actually 324 km. And since we live in a metric society, here in the civilized world, they then decided to offer a real century ride, except that there is no way you can get to Cornwall in 100 kms on a bike because you can't take the 4-lane highway unless you are a motorvehicle. So, this weekend I will ride two 120 km rides because once I get there, well I kinda hafta ride home. Of course there is always the possibility of phoning someone here at home and begging and bribing them to come and get me if I really feel like I can't possibly ride home. But that's unlikely. Yet still comforting. Especially since today I'm getting that "I'm really tired" eye twitch. Still no resolution to the excruciating fatigue. But I'm working on it.

Right now I'm making my carbo-load dinner: tuna casserole. I was talking about it with some friends the other week and I've made it twice since. Yum! It will be the perfect dinner before riding tomorrow. Lots of protein and carbs. And speaking of the kitchen, I seem to be having a war with nature in there. This week some bees seemed to think the kitchen window sill would be a good final resting place as they prepared to die. Ick!!! And for some reason the mice seem to be coming in too. They like the cutlery drawer, so I took all of the cutlery out the other week and super-sanitized it and it sits atop the microwave on the other side of the room until further notice of my successful extermination of said pests. I have set the traps and bait (they love nuts so I chop them up and sprinkle them all over the traps). Unfortunately yesterday I forgot to put bait on the traps and I heard them playing in there last night. Buggers. I got up from bed ever so quietly and still they heard me. I will win. I know, I'm not proud of it, but I cannot have dirty little mice living in my kitchen! Besides, if they are allowed to continue to roam they will eventually find out where I hide the food. And that will not be good.

Back to work and back to reality this week and it wasn't so bad. I felt slightly more motivated than I have been as of late. Once I get my energy levels back up I'm sure I'll feel a lot more motivated. Just the fact that everyone is back from holidays and I can walk into offices and actually see people makes it a lot better. And I sat in on a really good lecture today at the hospital on heparin in stroke. OK. You probably don't need to know more than that. I'll start boring you.

Back to reality also means back to traveling a little more regularly, and WOW when it rains it pours. I have many a trip to take in the next 3 months. So I will try to keep the updates on travel fun and add pictures because I'm finding the photojournalism thing is super fun for me too. First trip though... the Century (times two, plus forty). I got a smaller camera now, and will take it with me to capture the carnage.

No comments: