Sunday, September 09, 2007

Double Century Report


The double century did not disappoint. I woke up on Saturday morning feeling like a small pick-up truck had run over me. Not a MAC truck or anything, but still - a truck. I fought with my thoughts of ditching it and going back to bed the whole time I got myself ready. On my way out the door RobbieO poked his head out and wished me well. Which was good - things like that keep me honest and trying. If I didn't have motivators in my life I'd quit things more often I think. I didn't used to be like that. But that's another story. Anyway, I went. And would you believe that on a day when you felt like staying in bed and forfeiting $125 payment for a weekend away, that you could have one of your strongest cycling days of the summer? I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't lived it. What a phenomenal ride. The weather really cooperated with us too - beautiful and sunny, warm, and a nice strong tailwind the whole way there. Sweet! So we motored - acheiving an average speed amongst our group's highest thus far. Sunday was not quite as easy. If I thought I was tired on Saturday, well... Still I managed ok. It was the mental game that was hard today. The weather held and we did not have the predicted rain (thank friggin GOD because I left my rain coat in the car - doh!!!), but it was overcast and with the fatigue everyone was less chatty today than yesterday. And while our luck was really good and the wind had changed in our favour, it kind of turned around sideways and played tricks with us for the last 60 km of the ride - crosswinds (which are sometimes worse than headwinds). When we rode through a small town after about 2.5 hrs I saw a guy coming out of his house, all bleary-eyed, with bed-head, in his pajamas, letting the dog out, with his cancer stick dangling precariously from his lips. I turned to one of my friends and inspirations, Brian, and said: "I think we've got it right". He agreed. I didn't hang around at Kelsey's after we got back because I really needed some sleep and a hot bath for my aching shoulders (note to self: do not book training with Jessica the day before a weekend of riding). And with that, the last big cycling tour of the season is over and I'm very glad I took part in it. I still have several more weeks left of cycling to do, but this was a really nice way to bid farewell to the bulk of the season. Now, back to reality...

No comments: