Sunday, November 12, 2006

France Wrap-Up

As I kept mentioning, I jotted down my final thoughts on the trip and took some time to record them here:

My trip was 2 days in London, 7 days in the Languedoc, 7 days on the Côte d’Azure, then 2 more days in London again. When I had planned the trip I actually underestimated the level of fitness I would have after a whole summer of cycling and figured I’d like a week on the coast to relax after being on the bike 60-70 K/day for a week. In reality, I could have biked the whole two weeks – I would have loved to. So, when I was back-packing around the coast I was kind of bummed about not being on a bike. And I was also missing my new friends. Post-mortem on the organization of the trip: just stick to cycling. Keep it simple. Also, it would have been better to do a relaxing week alone before going cycling, but what I really decided is that I’m going to separate those types of trips. That way I can take my own bike and not have to worry about what to do with it when I’m not cycling – because I won’t not be cycling. And that gives me more trips to do anyway! ;) Seriously though, I did like my alone time, so I think I’m going to try to do a trip by myself every year. Like the silent retreat my friend Jag does. Except I’ll probably venture out of the valley. And I don’t think I can be silent.

I really liked the cycling tour. So much so, that I decided that when I grow up and retire – yeah, I figure I’ll probably have grown up by then. You know, it takes a little time… a lifetime. Anyway… when I grow up, I might lead cycling tours. How awesome would that be? I’ll be the cool, old, blue-haired chick on the bike telling people about the stuff that we’re visiting.

BTW… you know how men in pick-up trucks in the valley like to honk and stick their heads out the windows and scream at us women on bikes when we are on our own, or when there are only a couple of us… well in France they are much more respectful. They don’t do that stuff. I never got startled so bad I almost fell off my bike – which is, unfortunately, a fairly regular occurrence at home. They are either used to seeing women in spandex, or they look without screaming and blaring the horn. Yeah, it’s a difficult concept to grasp for the meat-heads around here, I know.

My recommendations from the Languedoc: Sommières. Not far from Montpellier, it was such a cute, little town that wasn’t too touristy. I highly recommend it. Lots of cyclists around that town too. Carcassonne deserves a mention too, for it was amazing as well, but it is much better-known than Sommières. All of the little towns that we visited throughout the Languedoc were so quaint and welcoming. One of the funniest things we were able to enjoy were the town announcements. All of a sudden on a loud speaker coming from the church (almost always in the very centre of the town) there would be music for about 2-3 minutes, followed by announcements in French (well, of course, I guess that goes without saying, but I'm trying to paint a picture...), and closed by music again. The announcements were of upcoming events. Apparently this is how it's been done for a very long time. I don't know how long. I'm going to guess since the advent of the loud speaker.
Then from the coast is Menton. It’s the stop on the train before Vintimiglia (Italy) – right on the border. Such a nice mix of French and Italian culture, and quite easily my favourite spot on the coast. I really liked Cannes a lot too. There was a lot to do there and it’s small, safe, and clean. There was what appeared to me as a big park in Cannes, and if it hadn’t poured with rain, I would have rented a bike and cycled through it.

As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed my short stints in London. I really love London. I know a lot of people feel there are a lot of hassles there… I haven’t had too, too many. Perhaps that’s why my perspective is so positive about it. Next time I go to London, I need to see a show though. That’s a must. And I want to spend some more time at Tate Modern That place is really neat!

I was ridiculed by my fellow cyclists on the Languedoc tour for my obsession with trying to find out the weather forecast. I realized more than ever that this is such a Canadian phenomenon. I just want to know – however flawed le Météo is – so I can try to plan what clothing to wear, how many layers, what to pack in my back pockets, etc, etc. I just really need to know. Nobody else cared. Nobody else wanted to know. They just laughed at my futile efforts to get someone to tell me the forecast. Oh well. Now that I’m back home I get my daily weather channel fix, and I’m as happy as a clam. These are some of the fun things about feeling your way around a different culture. They make you aware of your own culture’s little idiosyncrasies – or perhaps about your own personal quirks. These things always make me smile.

Hostelling is an experience everyone should have once in their life. I’m glad to have had it. Now I’m done. I am a spoiled, spoiled employee of a multinational corporation who goes on business trips many times a year and stays at nice hotels. I am also a girl who grew up staying at the Marriott for the same price as a camping spot. Don’t get me wrong – I am totally happy with somewhere that is simple and clean. Like the €25/night hotel on Kamari Beach that Beans and I found in Santorini last year. There was nothing to it – except it was private! When I got to London at the end of this trip and coughed up the £100 + tax for my room near Trafalgar Sq – well, let me tell you, it was a crap-load of money well spent! I was in heaven! Yeah, I know I’ve got it good – that’s why I typically work Sunday nights.

The simple things are always the ones that make us happiest, yes? On the flight over I had 2 full seats to myself. Alone in a row. How often does that happen? Not often enough. Then on the way back I had, for I think what could have been the first time in my life, the emergency exit!!! I was so excited! Double the leg room! Yipee! And I met a super-nice lady sitting beside me. She and I talked for about half of the flight. And of course, small place that our home-town is, we know some of the same people. Her husband picked her up, and they gave me a ride home! So nice. Then there was that lounge pass. I wish I had those for all of my trips abroad. But I would actually trade all of them in for just one chance to fly first class. That’s a small, and inordinately expensive treat that I have yet to experience. And on the topic of the simple things: the food on the trip was so good. But a little too good. When I got home I decided to do a one month detox. That has been interesting. Two more weeks to go. I just ate way too much pain au chocolat, brioche, croissant, tarte au poirons, and Nutella. I stick to my story: they spike that stuff with something addictive.

So, my next trip is in the works. I just booked my flight today, in fact!!! I’m not going to post on where I’ll be going until we get closer to the date. Now I probably should get some work done though, so I can actually feel like I deserve yet another vacation… ;)

No comments: