Monday, March 30, 2009

Kiwiana #4

I'll be posting on my mountain crossing tomorrow I think. In the meantime, I've had this one waiting for a bit, so figured I'd share...

ANZAC = Australia and NZ Army Corps (they make Anzac cookies here in NZ, which I love - apparently started back in WWII era for the soldiers)
bach = holiday home/cottage/cabin (pronounced like the shortened form of bachelor)
chilly bin = cooler
choice = fantastic
dairy = corner store
docket = receipt
pinch = steal (pinched = stolen)
footie = rugby
chunder = vomit
layby = put deposit on goods until they can be fully paid for
knackered = tired/very tired
afternoon tea = dinner
ute = pick-up truck (short for utility vehicle)
wops = the sticks (rural/remote area)
plaster = bandage (or as we like to call them: band aids)
sunnies = sunglasses
gum boots = rubber boots (like wellies)

No comments: