Even though I’m so very, very tired, I am making the time to record today’s experience and posting it for your reading pleasure. All these uber- early mornings are starting to pile up and wear me down.
OK. I have the answer to yesterday’s post confusion… A Sound is an inlet, as stated. A fiord (aka fjord) is an inlet that has been carved out by a glacier, also stated yesterday. This is the main difference. A sound has not been created by a glacier. Milford Sound is inaccurately named, as it in, in fact, a fiord. It should be Milford Fiord. It was discovered by a Welshman named Grono and he actually named it Milford Haven, after his hometown. Cook missed this entrance into Fiordland when he explored here previous to Grono.
Since the fiord is created by a glacier the walls of the rocks surrounding it are cut deeply. As a result, the boat on the cruise I took, sailing around and out of Milford Sound (Piopiotahi – its Maori name), was able to edge itself right up to the shear cliff walls, almost close enough that we could touch them, were it not for the huge waterfalls that we were edging up to check out. Wow!! Yesterday it rained a lot, which made the waterfalls more full and spectacular. There were hundreds of them – some permanent, some just temporary falls from the water that either collected from the rain or from the snow melt (anywhere above 600 meters last night got snow). Despite the cold weather, despite the fact that it rains here about 200 days of the year, today I think I fell in love with Fiordland.
I met more Canuks on today’s trip. I seem to be meeting more and more these days. Funny that. I ended up taking a little tour with a little tour company and really enjoyed it. The ten of us left Te Anau early in the morning and drove to
Today was one of those 100-photo days. This is one of the most beautiful places that I’ve ever seen. It reminded me that it’s been far too long since I’ve seen the
No comments:
Post a Comment