There are “heaps” of expressions used here that are not common where I come from. I’ve been trying to remember to write them down as I think of them in order to share them here. These are based on expressions I've found interesting or for which my Canadian version has been the target of ridicule. I’ve decided to insert the Canadian translation so you might understand. ;)
Kiwi: sweet as ------------------- CDN: sweet
Kiwi: cheap as ------------------- CDN: cheap/inexpensive
Kiwi: cheap as chips ------------------- CDN: cheap/inexpensive
Kiwi: heaps ------------------- CDN: lots/loads/a lot
Kiwi: rubbish ------------------- CDN: garbage
Kiwi: I reckon ------------------- CDN: I think
Kiwi: cruisey ------------------- CDN: easy/easy going
Kiwi: gutted ------------------- CDN: disappointed/bummed out
Kiwi: your shout ------------------- CDN: your treat
Kiwi: flat white ------------------- CDN: latte (coffee)
Kiwi: long black ------------------- CDN: Americano (coffee)
Kiwi: how you going? ---------------- CDN: how’s it going/how are you?
Kiwi: flat ------------------- CDN: apartment
Kiwi: flatmate ------------------- CDN: roommate
Kiwi: toilet ------------------- CDN: washroom
Kiwi: tissue ------------------- CDN: Kleenex
Kiwi: straight away ------------------- CDN: right away
Kiwi: EFTPOS ------------------- CDN: debit/Interac
Kiwi: capsicum ----------- CDN: bell pepper (red, green, etc)
Kiwi: courgette ------------------ CDN: zuchinni
Kiwi: kumara --------- CDN: sweet potato (they have 3 varieties here)
Kiwi: ring me ----------------- CDN: call me/phone
Kiwi: post ----------------------- CDN: mail (also used as a verb)
Kiwi: lolly ------------------------- CDN: candy
Kiwi: catch up on all the goss -------- CDN: catch up on all the gossip/news
Kiwi: brilliant! ---------------------------CDN: awesome/great!
I also wanted to point out that the kiwi pronunciation of the letter ‘e’ is very unlike our own. I’ve had numerous funny experiences figuring out what was meant when words like: tent, deck, dead. The ‘e’ is pronounced with more of an ‘i’ sound – like eei. Try saying tent like: teee-int. That’s what the lady at customs asked me when I arrived: if I’d brought a teee-int. Luckily she also showed me what she meant with her hands. You can imagine the laughter when my kiwi friend, Lauren, asked if I thought the way they said dee-ick was funny – she had to explain that she meant, “like a patio”. Lauren introduced me to the show Flight of the Conchords (also their band name) – two kiwi guys living in NYC trying to make a go of it as musicians there. Apparently this show is very popular in North America. Considering how much TV I watch, I didn't know about it. It was really funny! You can imagine my laughter when they captured exactly the pronunciation of the letter 'e' (or 'ea') in this episode that we watched (just a quick clip of it here):
These two guys apparently met while studying at Victoria U – right down the street from where I’m living now. Cool. Check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment