Saturday, November 08, 2008

Kiwiana - #1

There are heaps (an expression used here a lot) of roadside attractions here like the giant kiwifruit in Te Puke that the little towns erect to make themselves stand out and attract tourists. These roadside attractions are one example of kiwiana, although the term itself means anything distinctly kiwi. I hope to capture as many as I can, as I have a few friends who love the roadside attractions. ;) I guess this is something that Kiwis and Canadians have in common.

First I’ll tell you about the housing here. They like to build houses into hills – not just in Wellington, although I’d say it’s one of the more distinctive examples. So there are all kinds of crazy walkways and stairs and driveways in the most unusual spots that you’d never see back home. Or if you did it would be a place of interest and everyone would know about it and go check it out. Most houses here are quite old and were not built with much insulation, nor heating. None – zero, absolutely no heating whatsoever. No furnace, no radiators, no electric baseboards. Nadda. And it’s not warm here. I have to admit – I could not live here during the winter. Spring is quite enough of a taste of it for me thanks. I know, it’s funny to hear that from someone who lives with minus 30 Celsius winters – but we insulate and heat our houses. It’s a damp cold here. at least in Wello it is. Up north wasn't quite as chilly as here, but it still did get down close to single digits at night. I believe it’s quite similar to England. So, to stay warm everyone dresses in layers, and wear shoes in the house, and have little portable electric radiator-looking heater things that you can plug into the wall to heat that one space, and hot water bottles in bed at night, or electric blankets. Yep. That’s how to stay warm here. Considering the drafts that come into the house I believe that this country is not very energy efficient. Now, all this to say, newer houses, I have been told, are better insulated and have central heating. I haven’t been in one though. They really depend on the sun to warm the houses here, so places that are in valleys that lie in the shadows of the hills are not as sought after in which to live. In all the ads and when I visited places in person, everyone would emphasize how much and which rooms got sun. My room gets morning sun which is nice, but I also realize that the rest of the flat will be cold when I open my bedroom door so I’m not that anxious to get out of bed in the morning. Or should I say: get out of air mattress.

The roads in Wellington are narrow and winding. Well, it is a city built into hills after all. I was a little nervous heading out on the bike for the first time. I’m glad I didn’t wear my HR monitor that time, as I’m sure it was elevated just from stress. It went well though, and I think I will get comfortable with it. Most drivers here are quite familiar with cyclists. There are lots of them here. As many people seem to commute by bike as by bus or on foot. There are some cycling lanes and lots of signs telling motorists to watch out for cyclists. Parking is at a premium in town. Many residents park their cars on the street, as it’s not always easy to build a driveway into a hill or up one. So while cycling you have to be really careful of all the parked cars. There aren’t a plethora of roads, so you really must ride in the city to get out of it, but once you do there is great riding to be had! I rode partway around the bays on my last two rides and it was fantastic!!! I saw heaps of cyclists out as well.

More kiwiana next time…

No comments: