Thursday, November 08, 2007

Wings

Back for a whole month now before having to travel again! The last 2.5 months have been exhausting with travel every two weeks... be careful what you ask for, eh?

It's a bit rough leaving plus 30 degree weather to be greeted by true Canadian autumn in full-swing (minus 2 this morning). Still, it really is good to be back.

Last night I got to fly direct and it was a great flight. First I want to tell you all that my experience with WestJet was really nice. I know, we all love to bash the airlines (particularly our favourite monopoly - Air Canada). WestJet seems to be getting a lot more flights started up to various places (including Hawaii and Bahamas - for all you snow birds). The staff is ultra-friendly and easy going. Geez... I sound like an advertisement, but I wanted to just put that out there. I guess I fly AC too much so common courtesy seems like a novel experience today!

We flew at 42,000 feet (I watched the map on my personal satellite TV when I wasn't reading my book which I will blog about soon), and we had clear skies the whole way (the likely cause of our 25 minute early arrival - sweet!). It was phenomenal to look out the window and correlate which state I was seeing form my bird's-eye-view. Not often can you see the world from that height. And I also saw 3 different planes flying below us at different points during the flight. Wow!! The only other time I've seen planes around me while in the sky was at LAX when we took off - then they are much closer to you and you are silently thanking the women and men who are working in the control tower that day. Flying these days is usually more of a pain than anything else, but yesterday it was a nice experience. It reminded me of the novelty of the experience when I got to fly as a child.

So now it's time to get re-organized, do the laundry, clean the house - all of the little things that never get done when you are gone every other week for weeks on end. And this morning I got all caught up on my emails, blogs, and podcasts. Speaking of podcasts... check out this video: Ben Harper. The way he so quickly and so assuredly turns thought into words reminds me of how lacking I am in the ability to truly articulate my own ideas and feelings.

No comments: